9.17.2009

tried making sushi

i love sushi. i could honestly eat it for breakfast, lunch and dinner just about every day. jorge and i tried to make california rolls at home. we got all of the ingredients and utensils necessary. but they just didn't come out as awesome as we'd hoped.




the rice was too sticky and I had no idea how to make a good crab/mayo/whatever mixture.
each bite had way too much rice and got a little smooshed as we tried to cut it.

I think we'll leave it to Japanese restaurants.

11 comments:

Rachel Snyder said...

Sushi is awesome. Especially unagi, which I tried for the first time in Japan. However, I do think I'll take your advice and save the preparation for it to the professionals.

Joan Crawford said...

Yum, I love sushi, too. Here's a trick: wet the knife between each slice. I did it without wetting it initially and they came out progressively more deformed as I went on. I think the real chefs have Super Sharp knives and they would probably laugh at me if I suggested wetting the blade. Always so high and mighty those sushi chefs...

Julie said...

Don't get discouraged. The first time I made sushi it wasn't very good, but the second time worked out great! Also I find if you use a knife that is a little serrated it cuts through the nori a little easier and doesn't squish the stuff out the sides.

I love sushi so much. I'm actually coming to Oahu in January on vacation. You'd probably be the best person to ask, where is the best place to go for sushi?

Julie said...

Oh! Also, I find if you rub a little bit of olive oil or some type of cooking oil on your hands while you are putting the rice down it won't stick as badly to your hands. The first time I made it my hands were covered in rice.

Eugen Caitaz said...

I am never don't ate sushi!! so I can tell you: what it is the most beautiful and delicious sushi wich I saw in my life! This cucumber in a rice its looks so Awesome!!!

"Jorge! you are like Hungry SAMuRAi" :) !!!!

Topanga said...

I've never had sushi. I believe tuna is big in sushi and I'm chicken of the sea (ha-ha)(well at least tuna.. not a fan). But I do like the way sushi looks. It looks like candy lollypops only without the stick.

I have to say, for your first attempt, it looks really good. I'm sure there are recipes and techniques on the internet that would help you out. Epicurious? Recipe Zaar? 101 Cookbooks?

Now I got to go. My neighbours are getting their driveway paved. I'm a sucker for heavy machinery and the men who drive them. (That almost sounds dirty)

Paul Spooner said...

The secret is to soak the rice first and add just the right amount of sugar...

Or, just buy some, cos it's always better if someone else makes it!

WASABI!

Paul Spooner said...

Give your BF this link:

http://www.toothpastefordinner.com

Drew is Natali Dee's Husband, and is very funny

(sorry for cross-posting)

Anonymous said...

You have to use the special japanese Cupie (sp?) mayo and a little bit of sake for the crab mixture. And when rolling, use platic wrap, it makes it much easier to cut. Frozen tempura is also something good to use for homemade sushi! Enjoy!

Ralph- said...

i wonder if i could make "sushi" out of Loco Moco ingredients? I am going to try!!

Anonymous said...

Tell Jorge to stop cutting on that plate! It's bad for the knife :)