9.21.2009

a terrified tomboy goes to the emmys

when i heard about my invitation to the emmys this year (as jorge's plus one, of course) i was less than thrilled about saying yes to going.

i'm unfortunately prone to horrible anxiety and panic attacks in large groups of people and the thought of being in a large group of people during a red carpet event where everyone would be looking at us and taking pictures was something that made my stomach turn. i feared pictures showing up all over the internet of me puking on steve carell or drew barrymore. but i wanted to support my boyfriend, AND meet the cast of "the office" (the greatest show on earth), so i said "yes" and then complained and worried about it all the way up until we got into the car over to the Nokia theatre.

aside from the anxiety, i was apprehensive about going due to the fact that i hardly ever wear "girly" clothes and dressing up isn't super fun for me. jeans and a spinal tap t-shirt are "wear" i'm most comfortable. i never wore makeup until i was around 26 years old, and even now i only wear a tiny bit of it every now and then when i'm in the mood. i always wear my hair pulled back so it's out of my face and a lot of the time i wear a hat to cover it up completely. not really typical hats either.

this one's my fave...



got this one at the army surplus shop in wahiawa. it has tiny holes that i can stick my ears through!

this one jorge gave me a while back and i always like to wear it to the side. (sorry for posting this one, dave. i don't think you look like gollum though.)



and this one's me in a biplane over the north shore. hat complete with headphones...
so yeah, i don't usually look super "girly". but last night i got in a dress, put on shoes that weren't flip flops, and carried a clutch purse instead of the same army shoulder bag i've used as a purse for the last ten years.
i'm really proud of the fact that my dress, shoes and purse all cost $140 TOTAL. all the more money leftover for me to spend at in n out burger after the awards.
i got my makeup done, my hair did and slipped on the dress and we headed out to the emmys.

it was FANTASTIC. all of my anxiety somehow just went away (even BEFORE i took a xanax!) and i was actually excited to be there.
it was really hot though, man. and i was a sweaty beast by the time we finally got to the end of the red carpet. but then so was everyone else, so i didn't feel embarassed about being a drippy mess.

it was a great night and we're SO happy for Emerson!




40 comments:

Ralph- said...

"put on shoes that weren't flip flops" Only because they were stolen!

You guys look great! Our Tivo did not record the Emmys, but we did see like 3 Red Carpet shows. The channel 5 one looked like you were a little overwhelmed.

Glad you had fun!

Rachel said...

You should get dressed up more often, you look great.

Lorna said...

Gee - you look stunning, but you know what? You also look stunning without the glitzy glam thing. Well done on the $140 total spend. Just goes to show you don't need to blow a fortune! Glad you enjoyed it!

Jorge Garcia said...

I agree you looked really nice in that dress.

Sorry you had to get your toes amputated because of the shoes.

Nancy B. said...

Nice post Bethy :)

Trisha said...

"Simply elegant". If anyone comes up with a pair of classy shoes that don't make your feet hurt, they would make a fortune!

PS If you happen to see a group of Aussie tourists on Saturday at Honolulu Airport, give us a wave :)

Unknown said...

So pretty! Glad you were able to enjoy it.

Julie said...

You looked fantastic Beth!

I'm the same as you, total tomboy. Jeans and a t-shirt all the way. Actually when I am working from home my dress code is usually pj's. I also didn't start wearing makeup until a few years ago, and when I do it really isn't much. It's funny when my husband and I have to get all dressed up for something, because no one ever recognizes me.

You guys both looked amazing! Very classy :)

Topanga said...

I'm the same way about getting all girlied up and I can't wear heels. I have weak ankles. When I went to the winter formal in university I had to wear a long dress and I got laughed at (by my date, no less!!!) because I couldn't "sashay" like ladies are suppose to do when all dressed up. I walked like I was wearing my Vasque hiking boots.

Plus, I've never been able to have long hair because it's just too thin. I've always had a "boy cut" when it comes to hair and in fact, the bonus behind this is that I get charged the "boy cut" rate when I go to the hairdresser. Men's cut are $10. My haircut costs me only $10. Can't beat that!!.. except that I look like a guy but oh well.

I just can't pull it off. Like the man said.... "Forever in blue jeans".

However..... You look great no matter what you have on and you don't need make-up. Be comfortable with who you are and you'll be able to pull off ANY outfit with grace.

Paul Spooner said...

You scrub up just fine. Jeorge is a lucky guy :-)

Tammy said...

You look beautiful! I was talking about this same thing the other day to the hubby. (I dont usually wear make up and my fav things are sweat, shorts and Life is good t's. It "Feels" very weird to do the whole make up and dress thing-I walk around feeling like someone else, but it is fun and playing dress up is fun for special occasions, othere than that, i would rather sweat in sweats :) Glad you went!

the 5 powells said...

beautiful! and before you freak out b/c some random girl thinks you looked great on the red carpet...never fear..I was watching for Jorge! Haha! :) Seriously, I've been reading your blog for a while - you are hilarious. And you did look beautiful! :) (and Jorge looked handsome and I'm thrilled for Emerson too and well, I think that's all)

Joan Crawford said...

You made $140 look like a million bucks :)

The dress is gorgeous, the color of it with your complexion and hair color - perfect!

Eugen Caitaz said...

Yes, man!!! You are really sweaty beaty-girl!!! :)
You have not forget that you are Girl!!!! You and Jorge are the great couple on this GAlaxy!!!!
And I think that you have a good hair!!! ;)

Heather said...

you looked great!!

Paul Spooner said...

Damn right Jenea!

Anonymous said...

That's awesome that you got to go... to In N Out! Man, the one thing I miss about the Mainland..

Carlos said...

You look terrific!! Way to overcome your fears! Love the hat with the holes for the ears. You have to wonder about that one. Like, what if you get frostbite on just the tips of your ears...

Marni said...

You are beautiful!!! And you two make the cutest couple!

Glad you had fun.

Anonymous said...

I completely sympathize with the anxiety thing and am so glad to hear that you enjoyed yourself. I hear ya on the heels situation. You won't catch me in warmer months wearing anything but Birkenstocks. And who needs couture? You looked better than a lot of people wearing dresses that cost thousands (that would be if they had had to pay for them). And you're quite beautiful without makeup; I think wearing makeup on a regular basis must do something to your skin. I mean, have you seen some people, like Pam Anderson, without? Ack! Go on with your natural bad self.

Bethany James Leigh Shady said...

thanks, everyone :)

Anonymous said...

I saw the pictures of you two before I read this... could have fooled me, I thought you looked like a natural doing the whole glam girl/red carpet thing! Be proud,you looked (are) beautiful! AND you even dd it on a budget! I am totally impressed!
Nice arm candy too :)

Elly said...

That's cool that you can rock both glamour and casual comfortable. Good for you, hey :)

CarrieMarie said...

I am encouraged - I have horrid panic attacks in crowds. They've recently started to get better, but I don't think I'm quite to the Emmy-level crowd yet. Good job conquering that! Also, amazing dress, and frugal!! I love it! : )

CarrieMarie

Frenetic said...

You guys make such a beautiful couple.
I can totally sympathize with you on the whole tomboy thing. Never was much of a girly-girl myself either. I don't even think I own a dress at this point. Jeans all the way.
You would never guess that your outfit only cost that much. Looks just as beautiful as all those designer ones the others are wearing.

Justin Shady said...

Awesome job and awesome post. See? You did the Emmys; now everything else will be cake.

Mmmm... cake. Gotta go!

AllBlueZoo said...

I can't decide if I am more jealous of you going to the Emmy's or to In N Out? Decisions, decisions!

Rosemary Bats said...

The two of you make the most adorable couple! Love the dress.

Ralph- said...

cake does sound good!

Have you ever had Red Velvet cake? It looks good but i have never tried it before. Maybe i should.

Hmmm.

Sue Wacvet said...

I just want to echo what everyone else has already said. You looked great.

Nikki said...

You looked wonderful in your dress, but I also really enjoyed you explaining your quirky style. I'm a jeans and flip flop girl too. AND you are plenty cute enough without makeup. Rock on girl!

Anonymous said...

ohhhh, you looked so stunning in this dress... and the shoes... could eat you.

and in my opinion you beat Nunu in "cuteness"! ;)

Unknown said...

Well guess what? You clean up very nice. Looked fantastic!

You are a lot like me, if I had my rathers, it would be jeans all the time!!

jennY said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
jennY said...

you both looked fabulous! love the army hat where you can poke your ears out! such fun!

Unknown said...

I know how you feel... I had panic attacks too many times :(, few times I missed great fashion events because of that :(. But I guess we all learn how to live (or should I say deal) with it, I started with Prozak and Helex (like Xanax, same shit) and now I'm just trying not to panic when I'm in crowded place...

Goof said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Goof said...

#1 You are absolutely BEAUTIFUL with or without the glam. And I LOVE the blue dress. You look FABULOUS!

#2 It's good to play dress up and be "princess for a day" once in a while. Go with it.

#3 I'm a lot like you. T-shirt and jean shorts and tenni-shoes and no makeup are my taste. I have a couple of favorite hats too. And some I haven't worn in a while that I plan on wearing again soon.

Here is one of my faves:
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e349/Goofball_Lt_G/Hat1.jpg

And here is the other:
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e349/Goofball_Lt_G/015B.jpg


I'm glad you mustered up the courage to go out and do something that most people never have the chance to do. Jump on those rare opportunities and enjoy them.

((((HUGS)))) Love and Namaste

Kiraa said...

For not being a 'girly-girl' you do clean up nicely. You looked great!

Manta birostris said...

Hells yeah, girl. Tomboys, represent! What?!?

I know I'm late commenting on all this but I just found this blog after reading Jorge's blog(s) and I only found HIS blog after Wiki-ing him to find out his heritage after seeing the Richard Alpert episode where he's speaking Spanish to Richard's ghost wife. My boo is Puerto Rican born and raised so I'm always curious when I see people with no accent speaking Spanish.

Wait...what were we talking about?