We saw a pretty rad play last night called, "Sad Happy Sucker", at the Hyperion Theatre in Silver Lake.
Produced by Jenna Fischer (the cutie pie Pam Halpert on "The Office"), written by her new hubby Lee Kirk, and directed by Sean Gunn, SHS is an absurdist comedy that made me laugh a lot, jump in fright at a seemingly emotional moment, and think I had pink eye by the time we left.
Its lead character, Eddie (played by the young Charlie Sheenesque Eddie Ebel), is stuck; quite literally stuck to the ground in his backyard where the entire play takes place. His mother (played by the adorable Jeanine Anderson) tries to help him by calling a doctor (played by the incredibly talented Valentine Miele). It soon becomes obvious that there is nothing physically wrong with Eddie, but that his mind is in charge of his fate.
Dealing with malaise, anxieties, neuroses and questions about life, I related to this play quite a bit. The older I get the more I question EVERYTHING and I've begun to like being around humans less and less. That may have something to do with the fact that we can't do our grocery shopping without at least one or two people approaching us, but I've always been one to like being at home, alone, at my computer with a cold glass of bourbon.
As soon as the doctor character mentioned pink eye in the play, my right eye began to itch, and itch some more. And don't even get me started on the possibility that I may also now have lupus.
But it's comedy like this, where I can laugh at myself through the actors, that is the best comedy.
More info here: http://www.sadhappysucker.com/
I'm a person person, not a people person,
Beth

4 comments:
being a people person isn't all that it's cracked up to be..have to talk to a lot of A*****. Don't make eye contact and walk fast.
plus...you have to suffer to sing the blues...
check out ponderingpool.com
you will love their drawings and little messages...I'm sure that at least one will fit your mood.
I find the same issue as I get older as well Beth. Only difference, no one recognizes me from my mundane life to pose for pictures or ask for autographs.
Here's hoping you can get groceries in peace :D
Listen hunny that is the way it is. You get older think you'll have it figured out and you don't . I know 80 year olds that don't have it figured out. I have an autoimmune problem as well. Eat healthy (as best as you can and enjoy food) eat organic and get away from the toxic world around you. As for the other people I guess since I have never had to deal with that I can imagine it is very annoying. I mean how much can you really go out in diguse?
Oh hey, that's such a great way to say it, I never thought of that! The person person not people person thing, I mean. I always get people telling me I'm such a people person and when I say "But I can't stand people, where are you getting that from?" they just laugh. Really though...when given the choice, I'd much prefer not being around them. :D
Post a Comment