One night, about a month ago now, Jorge and I were relaxing in the living room, watching an episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm and finishing up dinner. It was a typical evening at home, UNTIL! A rat decided to join us by chewing its way through the screen on the shelf above our television. I jumped onto the coffee table and freaked out just a wee bit and Jorge got out the video camera...
The utter fear continued, and Jorge tried to scare me with a plastic bottle. The end part here with Jorge is the next morning after we had put out rat poison the night before. Jorge was leaving for work and decided to film the culprit! Little did we know, he wasn't the only one :(
The second night (red shirt) I was a bit calmer but still jumpy. We still only had the poison out, no traps yet. "The rat on the bed, the rat over there" refers to a toy rat that Jorge was scaring me with earlier that day.
The third night (light green shirt) we had the traps out. The first one we heard go off was around 9pm (which as more days passed we realized was the hour of the rat) and the rat got only his shoulder caught, so he was still alive and jumping around on the shelf trying to free himself, and then...
WARNING: This next video is not for the faint of heart, PETA members, or anyone who actually likes having dirty wild rats running about their homes, but you gotta do what you gotta do.
We killed a total of nine rats with the traps. That's minus the ones who probably ate poison and then walked away and died. It was a complete infestation! So glad it's over...or is it?

34 comments:
There was a mouse in my room earlier this fall. He left after terrorizing me for one day, but I can't help but think that someday he or one of his pals will show up again. There are many scary situations that I will handle, maybe even embrace, completely on my own; but put me in a room with a tiny critter that's not supposed to be there, and I turn into a helpless, blubbering mess. There was something very familiar about your videos, which gave me a good laugh. Thanks for that :)
I laughed so hard I almost peed my pants, I actually had to run to the bathroom. Thanks! I have a cat and she takes care of our mice (we live on a farm). You might want to think about getting one, I'm sure the Humane Society there has lots of great mousers.
Im sorry but I couldnt stop laughing of you freaking out... but only because I can relate to it ! I had a rat in my kitchen a few years back, and I made my boyfriend stay awake at night watching out for it with a baking roll, LOL.... Mice I can deal with, but rats are GROSS !!
You both are great! Jorge, cool, relaxed and aim-oriented. And then you, completely out of order, fraking out and screaming. really so funny, thx for that.
You both made my day. Great that you share these moments with us. ;)
hope you are ok now, beth... :)
regards
Oh my god those are huge!
The videos were very entertaining. I know I'd be up on the coffee table screaming as well! I can't believe you guys actually caught the rat falling with the trap into the garbage can on video!
Hope this ordeal is over with, and none of their friends and family come back!
Haha! These videos were awesome! You are adorable :)
Imagine all the nights the rats played cards and smoked cigarettes on your bed before you even knew they existed!
For some reason, I couldn't hear the sound, but I'm at work anyway so your screaming might not have been a good idea. Watching you silently was pretty cool because your facial expressions are the best thing anyway, especially in the light green shirt video. And when the rat dropped off the shelf--OMG--I shrieked. I knew the video was about rats, but without the sound, I was imagining psycho killers, poltergeists and Pauly Shore showing up. Awesome!
I don't think those were rats. I think they were mice. Not that it makes a difference. Thanks for the entertainment! ;-)
Oh girl you made my day! Sorry for your rat problem but thank you for making it entertaining. My favorite part was your re-enactment of the one in the trap falling into the trashcan.
You guys were smart with the bait and the traps. The last time I had a mouse problem I was living in an old farmhouse. We were watching a ball game and saw something ZOOM across the floor and into the bathroom. Two HYSTERICAL men locked themselves in the bathroom until they trapped the mouse. They totally screamed louder than you did :-)
is it scientifically proven that the rats walk away prior to dying? Do they put some chemical in the poison that gives the rats the impression that they need to go for a stroll?
I don't buy it.
You have dead rats somewhere in your house!!!
GRODY BETH!
Awwwwwe sweet Beth
(((((((((((HUGS))))))))))))))
No matter how nice a house is there is bound to be critters once in a while. I've had scorpions in and around my house. Good thing I'm not afraid of most things because I am now "The Scorpion Slayer".
LOL! At the poor rat that was under the trap with it's feet sticking out. It looked like the wicked witch of the west under Dorothy's house.
I hope you like Dharma Bears.
http://dharmabearinitiative2.webs.com/index.htm
They're not scary critters. ;)
YES!!! I love these videos! I'm telling you, I want the complete set on DVD.
I have the same reaction to rabbits. I hate them. That being said, this entry really has to be put up for some kind of internet blog award. Priceless!
If it happens again, get a ferret. No more mice/rats....ever.
I do hope the rats have removed themselves from your world and allowed you peaceful sleep.
Beth, I am the same way with centipedes! I turn into a screaming, shaking idiot, but have to deal with it myself since I live alone! I don't have to deal with rats or mice at home as my four kitties keep them away. They also alert me the minute a centipede crawls under the front door.
I do, however, get rats and mice in my tack house at Gunstock Ranch in Laie. They eat the horse feed. We use very LARGE sticky traps and don't touch them until they die from dehydration / starvation. Yuck!
I have other scary stories like the one I wrote on Jorge's blog, but I don't want to feak you out more!
From someone who knows
Check behind your dishwasher and fridge!
Beth I just wanna hug you! Poor girl. We have BIG ones here in S.E.FL too, must be a beach thing. Once one walked in my open patio door but I had my beagle mix smell where it was, told him to "get em", he took off nose to the ground and and in 5 min. he returned with a dead rat... ICK!!! He bit/crushed it's spine, ICK x100! (I dry heeved too) but was glad it was dead.
So what's Nunu doing all this time? She should be protecting mommy! I see the next Advent pic... Nunu's newest, freshest chew toy.
Okay, now I'm gonna barf, hahaha
Levmelost
You are truly hilarious! I can't say that I wouldn't be doing the same thing, though, if a rat crossed my path. Especially in my own house!
I have a new appreciation of your bravery Beth. I don't think I could have even slept in a house knowing there were rats in the neighbourhood.
So what's a little screaming between friends?
You ROCK girl :)
Oh my god! No wonder you are terrified, that's horrible!
I used to live in the country, we didn't have many rats thank goodness, but we had a LOT of mice. My parents discovered the best way of dealing with them was to lay poison in the garage. I think they were getting into the house from the garage. So this way they died in there, where if they couldn't be found it wasn't the end of the world as they weren't stinking up the house.
If you have a garage I recommend trying it.
But the fact that you've caught and killed at least 9 is a good sign - it was probably an entire litter and hopefully they haven't had a chance to breed again...
thanks for all the compliments, my lovies :)
you and Jorge are very funny, but your screms are the best! hahaha :D
Nine rats!!! Hey I'd be up there screaming too. How about some nice cats to keep the rats away?
That's a lot of rats!!! Anyways, I don't know what I'd do with rats, because, I am one of those who hates animal cruelty, but still can't live around them... probably get a cat so that nature takes care of them.
Beth: you really made me smile with your freak out... I know most of the readers already said it but I really felt like huggin' you...
J
So sorry about your rat problem, guys. But glad everything is ok, now.
What I love about this incident is that when Halloween, you actually took a picture of yourself kissing a toy rat. You even said you "tend to be overly affectionate with rodents this time of year" :)
Well, let's hope they don't come back again.
i said it on jorge's blog and i'll say it again.
Best.Miniseries.Ever.
Oh god....NINE????
holy crap sweety..you need a good ole mouser cat...but the videos here and at jorge's are hysterical.
In one of my how to live Hawaii books it says roof rats will swing up and down on tree branches to catapault themselves onto your house! Acrobatic rats-YUCK-cut your trees back.
Beth!!! The end it's only begin.
Good night!!! ;)
Holy crap. I can't believe you killed 9 rats. I now believe your standing on the coffee table was totally justified.
That's hilarious, seriously. But I guess you know that otherwise you wouldn't have posted it. In retrospect I hope you find it funny too.
We had rats once. We figured out they were attracted by the bird feeder. Rats are out there. They're everywhere. City, country.. doesn't matter. The best you can do is to make coming into your house less attractive. The come from outside so make sure to plug the holes in your house to prevent entry and remove anything from around your yard that the rats could see as a potential food source (seeds, compost, garbage) so they will go to somebody elses yard instead. Rule of thumb.. always make sure your yard is cleaner and less attractive to rodents than your neighbours. If your neighbour has a nice giant compost full of rotting kitchen scraps and a bucket of bird seed in their yard and you don't, your neighbour's yard will be more attractive to rats than yours will be.
Rat poison usually makes them dry up pretty quickly but if they die somewhere in your house you may have a couple of days of bad smell. If you're lucky enough to find the corpse you'll be able to remove it but make sure you dispose of it in a place where other animals like Nunu or neighbourhood cats can't eat the corpse because they will get sick and die too if they do. If the rats die inside your wall you'll just have wait for the smell to go away on it's own.. or tear the wall down to get at it.
The important thing is that you preserved your dignity at all times...
You guys are better than any reality show out there, seriously.
Gosh, that's insane! As amused at the vids are, I think if I were to find a rat in my house, I will simply leave till someone kills them all!
Most disgusting thing on Earth.
And you could totally work on a horror movie, cause your scaryness is totally cool for it!
Post a Comment