After the Bahamas we headed to Costa Rica. We were put up at the Tabacon Resort in the Arenal area which was a three hour drive north from the San Jose airport. It was Jorge and I, our ABC rep Andrea (who rules!) and then two peeps from AXN, which is the Latin American network that airs LOST. It was night, we were in a stretch limo (yeah, what?) and the roads were really curvy and bumpy. ALL of us started feeling car sick and at one point we had the guy pull over so we could all get some air and hopefully not puke!
When we finally got to our room we saw that we had many "friends" on the wall outside of it to greet us.
The next morning we woke up to the sound of the loudest bugs I've ever heard. The view of the volcano Arenal from our room was the clearest that first day. We never did quite see the tippy top of it though.

The hot springs at Tabacon were pretty cool...no, they were HOT actually. Like insanely hot. Hotter than a hot tub.

Went to a souvenir shop in La Fortuna where I saw this sweet sculpture.
This guy cruised by me as I sat poolside.

We did a 2.5 hour hanging bridges tour where we saw lots of wildlife. Here Jorge and Andrea are scoping out how high up we were. I think that one was about 120 feet up.

Our guide, Andrea and Jorge checking out some wild boar in the distance.

Our tour guide is holding an ant that is holding onto a GIANT leaf. That ant was STRONG!
We saw this rad snake that had beautiful eyelashes.

And then there was wine waiting for us in the car when we finished!
We left the next morning and headed back to LA. Bye-bye, Costa Rica!
10 comments:
Your All the photos are Awesome. Where do you stand on the fifth photo in sculpture - cool (as if there was Jorge? Ha! Ha!). The eighth picture is similar to a shot from LOst - Shenon, Jeck and HUrley!!!
If you want a little laugh, enter here: http://dispatchesfromtheme.blogspot.com/2009/08/read-to-end.html
Reminds me of that old Michael Douglas film: Romancing the Stone...
My grandmother keeps trying to convince me to try out Costa Rica sometime. Would you recommend it?
Too bad you only got to spend a day there; it looks so beautiful.
That looks like the greatest place ever. Every time i see a volcano it makes me think of Godzilla.
I've heard Costa Rico is beautiful. I've known a few people who have gone on eco-tours there. Rainforest and the whole thing.
I love that little gecko guy running along the poolside. I feel for the guy. What person hasn't felt just a little self-conscious walking on the poolside in their swimming attire, in front of the sunbathers? I wonder if the little guy was thinking "Oh crap.. they're all looking at me going by and noticing how this outfit make my ass look long."
What fun - the rope bridges must have been awesome! You should photoshop that picture of you with the boob sculpture so that you are juicing two giant grapefruits on it. It could be your Christmas card!
Wine waiting for you is always a plus, especially when it caps off a day as awesome as that :-)
Costa Rica was the first place I traveled outside the country to. I was only 10 but I remember being going to those hot springs and being bummed about not seeing the top of the volcano! No wine, though.
I went to Costa Rica with a biology class about 15 years ago. The wildlife and the "wildlife" were both amazing. I would recommend it to anyone. It's also pretty easy to navigate as there are a lot of American ex-pats there.
We studied those ants you have pictured as well as caught and held wild bats at midnight. We toured traditional and organic farms and plantations, including coffee and sugar cane, visited a co-op that was set up to train women in the area how to run their own businesses, rode horses through the rainforest, saw a quetzal bird and got stuff thrown at us by monkeys. I also had no luck seeing the top of the volcano although definitely heard it throughout the day. I am glad you got to experience it.
Post a Comment