6.10.2009

who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?

the shadow knows!
when i was a kid my dad and i used to listen to old timey radio shows from the 40s. no, i wasn't born in the 40s, but in the early nineties a local radio station in milwaukee would re-play the old shows late at night.

i liked "lights out" and "sherlock holmes" but my favorite was "the shadow".

so since our television hasn't worked for three days now, jorge and i have had to find other means of entertainment. and i got to thinkin' that those old radio shows were probably online somewhere...and they are!

http://www.oldtimeradiofans.com/

even the old commercials are there! so jorge and i spent last night with the lights out, listening to "lights out" and "jack benny". it was nice.

25 comments:

Eugen Caitaz said...

This is a film?

Rosemary Bats said...

Jenea, she said in the entry that it's a radio show...

Avinash said...

That is brilliant. Really quaint.

Although, it sounds like the average person who listens to this sort of thing sits in an old peoples' home knitting a sweater for a grandchild who doesn't exist.

Sounds cool though, I'll check it out...

anna said...

My family likes to go camping. One of our main problems is after it gets dark, but is too early for sleeping there really isn't much to do. I hadn't thought to download old radio shows. Genius!

NIKOL said...

My dad and I used to listen to old timey radio all the time when I was a kid, too. The Shadow was awesome! I also liked the adventures of Harry Lime. Nice that they're online. I'll have to check it out.

kathyeffingjacobs said...

OMG - my dad listened to that stuff with us, too! (And Fibber McGee and Molly, and Lum and Abner, and some other stuff I'm forgetting.) But I loved The Shadow. Thanks for sharing the link - this has made my listening day!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing. I've never listened to them but I'm a fan of old movies, so I'd imagine I'd like it. It sounds like a lovely way to spend an evening with your beau.

Topanga said...

Sounds like fun. It's like when the power goes out during a snowstorm and all we can do is play cribbage in candlelight.

You know.. I had to post a comment this time because of the "word verification" code thingy. When else would I ever get a chance to legitimately use the word "pubefac"? Seriously!! That's the combination of letters I got!!

Bethany James Leigh Shady said...

HAHAHAHAH! PUBEFAC! that's brilliant!

Paul Spooner said...

You better get your telly fixed soon or you will have to start knitting or something....

My word verification is: Pikendi...not as funny...

Julie said...

That sounds like a lot of fun! Our tv is not broken, but since all my favorite shows are done for the season I find myself rarely going downstairs anymore. I have been outside a lot lately going on walks and bike rides, it's been so nice here I must take advantage before the warm weather disappears for another 6 months.

to keep with the trend my verification word is "noodies"

Justin Shady said...

Dad never did ANY of that with me. THANKS, DAD.

Paul Spooner said...

Noodies is a good one...

9this could be a whole new internet craze!)

Aunt_B said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Aunt_B said...

My word verification is only tivarri...B-O-R-I-N-G...

What I don't understand is why there is a dude in a wheelchair next to the word verification box...seriously. WTF is up with that?

ooops, typed it wrong and now I get to type in a new one...slicania...ooooo

This is outta hand now...third times a charm...pesse

Avinash said...

I like how the comment section for your blog has now turned into "what is YOUR word verification?"...

(mine was imitch)

CarrieMarie said...

Thank you for posting that link! The Shadow is one of my favorite "superheroes"!!! I'm so happy I happened on Jorge's blog & from his, yours. : )

Happy Friday!!

CarrieMarie

p.s.
to go w/ the current blog comment theme - my verification word was ingau. huh? LOL

Paul Spooner said...

Stop cheating B, you only get one go...

Aunt_B said...

It's not cheating Paul! It's hard to type when I've only had 1/2 a cup of coffee.

Don't you have a wrong side of the road to drive on or something?

groovyghosthunter said...

I have Sirius radio and I listen to Classic Radio all the time! Jack Benny is my absolute favorite!!

I like the mysteries too. The way the performers always have to describe what's going on, just makes me laugh. "Hey, wait, doll face ... why are you pointing that pistol at me ... don't kill me, doll ... BANG ... ughhhhhh"

Ahhhh radio.

Anonymous said...

I love listening to them too when I'm alone in the office just doing tedious data entry. It really makes the time go by faster. Here is a link to another Old Time Radio internet page: http://www.otr.net/ that you don't have to download the shows. As long as you have Real player, Quick time or Windows Media Player you can listen to each one.

Lisa6785 said...

I love listening to them too when I'm alone in the office just doing tedious data entry. It really makes the time go by faster. Here is a link to another Old Time Radio internet page: http://www.otr.net/ that you don't have to download the shows. As long as you have Real player, Quick time or Windows Media Player you can listen to each one.

Capcom said...

Wow, thanks for posting the old radio links! They're great and even when they aren't very good drama, the silliness (especially if they're serious) makes up for it.

Thanks again!

Hillary said...

Great find! My mom shared some of these with me from her childhood when a collection was released on tape in the 80's. I'll be passing this link along to her and my grandma.

Sustainable Station said...

Awesome! Thanks so much. I used to listen to these while I drove around and delivered pizza. Always missed the shows after that!