i read a news article today that said that the government is two years into a five year project that will produce a physiological screening machine that will be able to detect anxiety and nervousness in passengers as they pass through security screening, much like a polygraph machine does. the point of this is that they assume that suicide hijackers will be nervous enough to set it off and they will therefore be able to catch them before they can make it to the airplane.
now, statistics show that one out of every six adults have a fear of flying, thus causing nervousness and anxiety before and during the flight. can you imagine how damn long the security lines are going to become when this machine is put into place in airports across the country? screeners will be pulling people for questioning constantly. and how awful is it going to be to already be terrified of flying, but then to be questioned because you're thought to be a possible terrorist?
i'm all for not dying in a plane that crashes into a building, but i honestly think homeland security is being ridiculous with this one.

7 comments:
I think the thought of having to go through an "anxiety screener" would be enough to make me anxious! Especially since I've only recently recovered from the worst of my post-9/11 flying shakiness.
This sounds like another money and time wasting invention. Of all the ways to "test" for terrorists, this has to be the dumbest. How will they determine the level of nervousness a terrorist has as opposed to someone really scared of flying? That makes no sense. Surely there are better, more accurate ways of detecting possible threats than an anxiety tester.
Wouldn't an "Amazingly-Confident-Because-You're-About-To-Die-For-Your-Beliefs-And-Be-Rewarded-With-70-Virgins-In-Eternal-Paradise" Screener make more sense?
I know from the second I arrive at the airport until the second I'm out of the airport I arrive at I am an anxious sweaty ball of nerves.
Oh great, that's just great. Well, obviously I'm going to set the alarms off. I always feel like throwing up from the moment I get on the freeway until the moment I am safely in my seat on the plane before take-off.
(Because, you see, I'm not afraid of flying, I'm afraid of throwing up in front of thousands of people at the airport.)
:sigh:
Grreeaaat. Count me in on the freaking-out-possible-terrorist list. I won't get on a plane without 1/2 dozen xanax in me. So, in a nutshell, either throw my sedated ass off the plane, or let my sedated and sleeping ass stay that way for the whole flight and I'll be now trouble at all.
dude, this thing is gonna SING when i walk through it!
I hope they aren't making plans also for a "drunk detector" or "prescription drugs abuse monitor," because i'd be fucked then, too.
Errr... have they ever considered the idea that many of these terrorists come in with a euphoric sense of calm, knowing that in their minds they are performing a duty they are willing to die for?
They need to go ahead and place this in the recycle bin with the "Gay Bomb".
Post a Comment