5.09.2011

HAWAII

One of the most common questions I get from people is "Do you have any suggestions for where to go/eat and what to do in Hawaii?" So I decided to write a blog about all of my favorite things there.

O'AHU

Kailua/Lanikai

Jorge and I lived on the Aalapapa and Mokulua sides of the Lanikai loop throughout our years in Hawaii and I think about it/miss it every day. It's the greatest town on the island. Super laid back and it felt like our own little town away from the city. Here's a list of our favorite places in Kailua:

Buzz's: Very cool restaurant across from Kailua Beach. I always loved getting the Pink Thing (a fabulous martini), the artichoke surprise, the calamari steak, and the Walu (fish) dinner with mashed taters. Such yummy food but the ambience/environment is even better. I had dinner here my first night after moving to Hawaii, as well as many a happy hour :)

Morning Brew: Cute, indy coffee shop where I used to get a lot of writing done. I used to always get the veggie wrap with sun-dried tomato spread and the chai shake is delicious.

Lanikai Juice: A big favorite of me and most of the LOST cast, as well as most of Kailua. I always got the Acai smoothie and it was yummy!

Formaggio: Jorge and I often went here for a late lunch after the lunch crowd had cleared out. I LOVE their lamb tacos and the braised lamb hot pot. We also did their "Dining in the Dark" event a few times which you can read more about HERE.

Noboru: I waitressed here for about a year and drank way more sake on the job than I probably should have, but it was a great time. I LOVED their beef sukiyaki (a big cauldron of beef, noodles, tofu and other stuff with a broth and rice), the crunch roll, and the zenzai for dessert (green tea ice cream with mochi and azuki beans). Jorge and I always liked to go here for dinner or lunch and sit at the table outside next to the window.

Lucy's: Owned by the same people as Buzz's but not as much personality. Great Pickit Salad and coconut shrimp, and the bartender makes a mean Lemon Drop.

Zia's: This is an Italian restaurant and it sounds weird, but they have the greatest breakfast. I'm actually not super fond of their other food but breaky...yum. The breakfast risotto is delicious and the bread pudding pancakes are orgasmic. I highly recommend getting BOTH so that your salty/sweet ratio is in alignment.

Crepes No Ka Oi: I worked here as well for six months or so and probably gained about ten pounds from eating free crepes! Great Italian coffee and yummy crepes. Get the Lover's Delight, the Popeye, or the Killa Pizza.

Boots & Kimo's: I'm still on the fence about this place. They DO have fantastic banana pancakes with a macadamia nut sauce, BUT I hardly think they are worth the possible two hour wait you will have to endure on the weekends. If you want to try the famous pancakes, I suggest going on a Wednesday right when they open, which I think is at 7am. If you can get outta bed that early, which you probably will since your internal clock will be on a different time zone.

Cinnamon's: This place is so adorable and homey and friendly. We always liked to go here with friends for breakfast. Carrot pancakes are sooo good.

Maunawili Falls Hike: Moderate hike with a lot of steps towards the end but such a great payoff at the waterfall. Takes about 2 hours to do the whole thing with a short stop at the falls.

Pillbox Hike: I used to do this hike every other day because it was literally in our backyard. On the Aalapapa side of the Lanikai loop at the beginning when coming in take a right onto Kaelepulu Drive and park just outside the private drive gate. You'll see the sign for the Pillbox on your left. This has such an amazing view and you'll want to just sit on the bunkers above and stare out at the sea and mountains for hours. Take a notebook or a yoga mat :)

Lanikai Beach: You can access the beach from any of the beach access off of Mokulua but we always liked the Kaiolena Street access. Also, we used to call the access that is just to the right at the end of Lanipo Street "The Swimmin' Hole" and it is a great place to launch your kayak for a ride out to the Mokes.

Other O'ahu

Dinner at the Roy's in Hawaii Kai is a must. Don't make a reservation, just go around 6pm and sit at an outside table at the bar and watch the sunset. Get the Leolicious martini and the butterfish.

The Koko Head Crater Hike is bruuuuutal but there's an amazing view at the top and it's a great workout. Go as early as possible since there is zero shade.

You can visit our old pup Nunu's grave at the Valley of the Temples, as well as see the beautiful Byodo-In Temple where they filmed a lot of Jin/Sun flashback scenes.

We always dug grabbing Mexican food and horchata at El Mariachi in Kaneohe and dinner at Haleiwa Joe's in Kaneohe. Best garlic bread ever.

Take a trip up to the North Shore and do the Kealia Hike behind Dillingham Airfield. Get the biscuits and gravy at Kono's in Haleiwa and then a shave ice at Matsumoto's for dessert!

The Kahala Resort is a gorgeous hotel where we've stayed many times. We swam with the dolphins in the little lagoon downstairs and the LOST series wrap party took place in the space where they hold the most delicious breakfast buffet in the mornings.

We went to many a birthday party at La Mariana Sailing Club/Bar. It's a fun little Tiki bar right next to the airport where we used to take people who've just landed, or are about to leave, for a drink.


KAUA'I

Tidepools restaurant at the Hyatt has a delicious dinner in a gorgeous setting on the water.

Go to the "Grand Canyon of the Pacific", Waimea Canyon.

Check out the wet and dry caves on the North Shore.


MAUI

We went to Flatbread Company pizzeria in Paia and after dining in had to get another pizza to go because it was SO good.

We stayed at The Old Wailuku Inn, a quaint little place owned by a sweet couple who will cook you up a mean breakfast in the mornings. We spent a couple of nice nights sipping wine and playing board games on the back porch. Awww, romantic :)


HAWAI'I (BIG ISLAND)

After going on the Lava Ocean Adventures boat tour of the lava we stopped for breakfast at The Kilauea Lodge and wished we had booked our stay there rather than at one of the big hotels on the Kailua-Kona side.

Hilo is a cute little town with a great crepe place called Le Magic Pan and Sugar Coast Candy shop where I got my gummy on!


MOLOKA'I

Go to the RW Meyer Sugar Mill Museum. It's not the most thrilling place in the world, but the old woman who runs the gift shop makes some mean molasses cookies. And they're cheap!

Unfortunately The Lodge at Moloka'i Ranch was closed a week after our stay there in 2008. It was a beautiful, wood structure with really cozy rooms. Not sure where one would stay on Moloka'i these days. Though it was a really friendly, cool island to explore, there wasn't much there to see. It's a good place to relax.

There are seriously many more things to suggest but I think this is a good place to start. If you're looking specifically for old LOST set locations, go HERE.

Hope you have a fantastic vacation in the greatest place on Earth :)


11 comments:

Steve Pants said...

Tidepools is great!

Josh Alder said...

Beth -- Don't forget Flatbread Co. pizza in Paia on Maui. My wife and I went there based on your blog entry and it was awesome!

Noemi said...

Fantastic, I am a travel agent & lover of LOST of all things, glad you have created this blog! I follow all of your blogs and FB and on twitter, thanks for all the information you provide will also be reading your book soon!
♥ Noemi
Travel: Across The Sea
Twitter: @wegottogoback

Noemi said...

Oops just realized I have been following this blog since the beginning just did not realized you had added information regarding restaurants etc. thanks again for the information!
♥ Noemi

pipefiddle said...

I love Lanikai Juice. I ended up wearing my last one home when my straw poked through the bottom of the styrofoam cup on our way to the airport. My husband and I still joke about Lanikai Juice since I had to travel from Hawaii to Michigan wearing one. But the worst part about it was that I didn't get to finish it. :-(

Anonymous said...

I wish we had had all these recommendations when we went a couple of years ago Beth but we most certainly plan to revisit Oahu in the not too distant future, so will print this out and take it along! Thank you!! xx

Remy said...

Can't wait to go to Hawaii! Thank you for the tips ^^

DC Dave said...

The one time I was in Hawaii, I went to Boots & Kimo's twice, because I loved those banana mac pancakes. Wish I could recreate those at home.

I agree - a 2 hour wait is just nuts. I went around 10 am one weekend, and waited about 60 minutes. Went just after they opened on a weekday, and got in right away.

Steve C. said...

Aw man, you're killing me. A few of these are my favorites too, especially Lanikai. Did you guys ever go to the beach at Bellows AFB? That one is really cool too.

Koko Head is really amazing (and also brutal), and La Mariana is the best old school tiki bar I've ever seen.

Surprised Diamond Head Cove Health Bar isn't on your list. It's not too far from the studio; owned by the guy who owns the dog that played Vincent. Delicious Acai bowls there! Also, did you guys ever hang at Pinky's in Kailua?

Thanks for the nostalgia. Man I wish I still lived there!

Ang Campbell said...

Did you ever try Aoki's shave ice just a few doors down from Matsumoto's? That's the spot we always go since the line is considerably shorter than at Matsumoto's and we think the ice is shaved more finely :)

Thanks for the other O'ahu tips! There are apparently a lot of places we still have to visit while we're here :)

RickR said...

Awesome, Beth! This is EXACTLY what I was looking for! :)

(Rick from FB)