5.29.2010

Aloha, Hawaii

I feel like Hawaii just broke up with me. You know that God awful feeling when you're going through a break up and everything that you see or hear reminds you of the person that you're no longer with? You try as hard as you possibly can to NOT think about them because when you do, you feel that emptiness deep in your stomach, but it's inevitable that every little thing you see will have some significance of your time with them.

I can't hear the song "Shambala" on the radio without feeling sad now, and seeing the Dawn commercial with "Wash Away" by Joe Purdy in it brings me to tears.

LOST was a huge part of our lives here. The cast and crew became part of our family. I'll keep with me fantastic memories of going to the set and sitting around in the cast tent and having debates with them over what the best candy bar is, or listening to Terry and Josh play guitar while Naveen and Jorge serenade everyone.

I'm definitely going to miss dinners with Emerson and his grunty little laugh, and spending late nights on Ken and Nancy's couch while Jorge worked in the jungle until sunrise.

I've been lucky enough to have the ocean in my front yard and the beautiful Pillbox hike in my backyard. Lanikai has been such a peaceful place and I know that I'm going to miss it beyond belief once we return to the madness of Los Angeles tomorrow.

I spent three and a half years in this relationship with Hawaii, and even though I know that it's time to move on to the next adventure, I can't help but feel like I will have left my heart here and that one day I'll need to come back.




See you in another life, Hawaii.

33 comments:

Ralph- said...

Hopefully Family and Friends will soften the blow, by welcoming you back to California with open arms.

We feel blessed for spending the time with you two at your home.

Even though we were only there a short time, i understand how much the island meant to you guys.

Have a safe flight.

Anonymous said...

HA! I remember that boat from when we visited there. That person must just drop anchor, take down the sail and swim to their house!

California said...

Man, you made me tear up with that post. I've had a terrible time leaving Hawaii when I've just been there for vacations. I can't imagine living there and having to leave. But what a wonderful nugget in your life this time has been and nothing will ever take it away. You are very fortunate.

Sam G said...

Well, you made me cry. I've been mourning LOST all week but it's time to let go. Hope you guys find another great adventure.

Thanks for sharing so much with us.

Sam G

Sariel Leon said...

Haraucourt wrote "partir c´est mourir un peu.Cést mourir a ce qu´on aime..."

It´s so true.

Blessings, Sidekick 22.

Jake said...

Oh noooo. At least you have memories. Now you can make new friends, like meeee. Anyway, glad you had a great experience. Good luck in the future.

Unknown said...

It's like say good bye a very closer friend so, thanks for let us get in your lifes, thanks a lot for all the great moments.
Best wishes.

Topanga said...

Aww, I feel the heartbreak. maybe some day you guys will be able to retire there.

We watched Lost again tonight and it was even harder (sadder) than the first time because all the way through I knew what was coming.

CarrieMarie said...

Beautifully written!

Anonymous said...

Oh, that made me teary-eyed! Not only because I'm sad for you having to leave, but also because I'm sad that your Lost family is parting ways. The pit-of-your-stomach-loss feeling, although to a lesser degree, is how a lot of us fans are feeling, too. I still can't believe it's over. :(

Sarah said...

I've done the Honolulu to LA move so I know exactly how you feel... and I wasn't even living in Lanikai. I don't think I'd be able to move away from there lol. Good luck and best wishes for you guys in LA. Hope you find your way back to HI soon.

Joan Crawford said...

This is really sad :(

You look fabulous in that picture. Also, your hair at Evangeline's party was adorable.

The best candy bar ever is the Chunky Bar. Man, do they even make those anymore?

Kevin said...

Pretty nifty blog ya got here (i hopped over from GJB...)

I've got a wicked bad fear of flying, so i'll probably never make it there. But its cool to see a little slice of what island life was like for you. I'm a tad envious. :)

mrs.mao said...

Thanks for sharing your lives with us.

Carrie said...

Sidekick, thanks for posting. I'm sorry Hawaii and you are taking a break! I also cry when I hear that Dawn commercial...bringing me back to the good ol' season 1 days. Good luck on your next chapter of adventures!

Unknown said...

So grateful that you and Jorge have shared a glimpse of your adventure with the fans. Thank you and good luck!!!!!

robertaK said...

So true. Carry that aloha with you! Something about Hawaii got into my heart many years ago. Lost began - Sunset on the beach, 2004 - the week I moved my daughter out there for college, so I was hooked on the show from the beginning - as much for the story as for scenes of the island where I would always rather be.... mahalo!

Paul Spooner said...

Life is a journey and its time for the next adventure...

Just one thing, please don't join the Hills!

;-)

*~Dani~* said...

I felt the same way about San Diego. My whole life I wanted to move there. I finally got the chance, but after a year had to leave again. I spent years dreaming about it and with everything reminding me of it - even The Hills made me sad (for reasons beyond the thinly veiled "real" plot).

Three years is a lot of memories to keep you afloat until you return.

Ty said...

It is a magical place..specially Lanakai...its addicting and you can never kick the habit of wanting to be back there. Its always a place i actually feel home. Feel comfortable. Thing is...you can always go back....Which is what I have been doing for 3 or 4 years:) Longer trips each time. Maybe someday I will stay!:)

Eugen Caitaz said...

Oh Beth! I am boy but you know man can cry too...
Your adventures - was, is and will be in your life forever! I am sure in it.
Beth, you can describe me -how smelled Hawaii?

Diane said...

Wishing you the safest of flights on your return. I was lucky to live in Hawaii for five years. The warm people and breezes will stay with you forever. Thank-you for helping our transition to life without the island that much easier. I feel like we are all in good company. Aloha, and you can always go back!

Johnny Walker said...

It's some kind of special place. It's amazing to me that the people who live there still appreciate it... It just shows how amazing it really is. Which island did you live on?

Unknown said...

I think most of what you feel about Hawaii is mainly because of the people all intensively working on the same thing and acomplishing a great goal.
I know because I went through such experience cuple of times and also returned to the same places later - and it simply never came back.

Cattag said...

Thank you for sharing Hawaii. I'm from Long Island, NY nothing like Hawaii but my love for the ocean and sand is crazy. I could never think of living somewhere not by the water. I now live in Brooklyn, 4 subway stops from Coney Island. I love how you can come to a corner of the block and sometime smell the ocean. That's the smell you will miss.

Pete said...

wow. just... wow. great picture

Blodwynn said...

I moved back home to Toronto after spending three years living on Maui. Although I can't sit on the beach people watching forever and it was time for my next adventure, a piece of me will be there forever.

I couldn't have said goodbye better myself.

good luck to you.

Barb.

Mspatty said...

Started to say I could relate, but come to think of it, I haven't a clue how hard it must have been to leave paradise...

Anonymous said...

Hawaii has such a palpable energy...especially the mountains on the east side, they are alive! Popping out of the H3 tunnel is like coming though the clouds and seeing the heavens open up. If you let it in, it takes hold. I fell in love 10 years ago. I once had to leave for 3 years and my heart would literally ache for this place. I hope you get to return one day...and that your reunion is sweet :)

Miss Scarlett said...

It's all too sad.
:-(

I hope you get to return to your Island one day.

NBC001 said...

Awww!! You made me cry again.

Kristianna said...

Even though you'll likely never know me from Eve, I had to come comment that I am so sorry to hear about Nunu. It was so obvious how loved she was, and the posts featuring things she liked to chew on were precious. I know it wasn't you that did those posts, but am sure you had something to do with it. :)

Condolences.

Bethany James Leigh Shady said...

Thank you, Kristianna.